The newly formed Erlanger Elsmere Historical Society first meeting was Thursday May 13, 2021
In early April of 2021, Erlanger, KY Mayor Jessica Fette and the Erlanger City Council decided they no longer wanted to sign a Memorandum of Understanding with the Erlanger Historical Society. They wanted the 1877 Depot Museum to become an Erlanger Community Center. The room that was the office for the Historical Society would no longer be available to the Erlanger Historical Society and Society volunteers would no longer be needed at the museum. The 1877 Depot is on the Department of the Interior National Registered #02000918. The society was told there would now be Erlanger city employees to operate the Community Center. So, there would just not be room for the Society in the building. So, the society turned in their keys and vacated the property on April 15, 2021, and the city closed the Museum. There is not a timeline at this time for the opening of the Community Center.
The Erlanger Elsmere Historical Society is very appreciative to the Elsmere Mayor and City Council who welcomed the Joint Erlanger Elsmere Historical Society Inc. The society signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the City of Elsmere, and they provided the new Erlanger Elsmere Historical Society Inc. with an office and meeting space at the Elsmere Senior Center. The Historical Society is very active doing presentations of the sister cities history to organizations and at the Erlanger Library. A history of the city of Elsmere has never been published. The Society is in the process of doing the research to complete a History of Elsmere, KY. And at this time the society is working closely with Honk (Housing Opportunities of Northern KY) doing research on some historical housing in the city of Elsmere. Our meetings are on the second Thursday of each month at the Elsmere Senior Center at 179 Dell Avenue in Elsmere. Come join us at 7:00 pm. You do not need to be a member to attend.
Erlanger Elsmere Historical Society Meetings
Our meeting is held on the second Thursday of each month at 7:00 p.m. at the Elsmere Senior Center, 179 Dell Street, Elsmere, Ky. Each month we have a general meeting and a history presentation that is announced on our Facebook Page. Come join us! You do not need to be a member to attend and we even have refreshments.
Accomplishments of Erlanger Elsmere Historical Society Members, Volunteers, and Fundraising Activities
- Publishing books of Erlanger Elsmere history
- Continuous Photography that preserves the present for the future.
- Many presentations to local organizations.
- Applied for and received many Grants to complete the renovation of the 1877 Depot.
- Erlanger Railroad Depot Park and Museum (Moved the train depot 100 feet from the Railroad tracks to the Depot Park | Acquired a Caboose and moved it to the Depot Park | Brick walkway in Depot Park | Helped with the fundraising to renovate the 1943 Southern Railroad Caboose).
- Kentucky Highway Marker - Due to the efforts of the Historical Society in 2002 the Erlanger Historical Depot and the Erlanger Proper Subdivision were accepted into the Department of the Interior Historical Registry. In the year, 2004 they were accepted as one of the State of Kentucky Highway Marker recipients.